Wednesday, November 28, 2007

You'd Better Watch Out, James

James T. Harris, the newest pundit at TMJ radio and blog (in fact he has two sites-who does he think he is, me?) has come out with his position regarding feminism as it relates to fatherhood. I won't go into that whole feminism part of his post. I will leave that for Kay, if she wishes to address it.

But, there are a few lines from the post that should be pointed out (emphasis mine):

As some of you know, I’ve got a little girl. She is the baby of three kids and the only girl I have. That’s right, I said “have”; she is mine. My child. My girl. I own her.

She is not free to do as she pleases.Not now, not ten years form now, not until the day that she leaves my house as a married woman, will she be “free” of me.

Do you now what that means? That means that I have a say in what she wears, eats, plays with, watches, listens to and sings along with. Every aspect of her life is and will be controlled by me. If I don’t like it, it doesn’t happen. If I don’t desire it, it will not be done. If I don’t choose him, he will not be chosen.

I am her father.

Feminism, girl power, women’s rights...They can’t replace the role of a father. They can’t bandage her up when she falls off her bike or give her a shoulder to cry on. I’m all for equal rights, but feminism has taken on a life totally separate from rights and equalities. Feminism in 2007 is false hope. It attempts to take away the significant roles of men – especially in the family – and it attempts to make fatherhood optional. Feminism might have served its purpose at one time, but today its philosophy is fraudulent. In the name of freedom, young women have been told that they need no father or husband or men in their lives. My daughter will not be sacrificed on the alter of freedom. No!

This just smacks of the same kind of attitude and injustice that Sykes, McBride and McIlheran claim we are fighting in Iraq for. If your not careful, they'll think you're one of them Islamofacists and then they declare war on you.

10 comments:

  1. What in the world? Journal Communications is cornering the market on crazy. What a bizarre thing that man thought he had to write. It sounds like he's compensating for being such a douchebag of a father. It will be interesting to read the divorce settlement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world? Journal Communications is cornering the market on crazy. What a bizarre thing that man thought he had to write. It sounds like he's compensating for being such a douchebag of a father. It will be interesting to read the divorce settlement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does WTMJ pay them to write that dreck?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My question is whether James feels the same way about his two oldest, the boys.

    Will James T. Harris be controlling what they wear, eat, play with, watch, listen to, and sing along with, right up until they day they get married and leave his house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every one of us feminists had a father, and a lot of us were lucky enough to have them with us, and a lot of us loved them a lot.

    May that little girl be able to say the same . . . but she'll sure have to learn from someone else what feminism really is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Jessica McBride is a "c---" and now james harris is a douchebad of a father. But it's conservatievs who engage in hate speech. And jay Bullock posts on this site. I'd love to see him use words like that in his classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The same anonymous commentator that can't tell the difference between commenting and posting, much less how to spell.

    Which one of the local right wing media do you think this person is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And jay Bullock posts on this site. I'd love to see him use words like that in his classroom.
    Anon, I only comment here. And I do not use words like those in my comments. Or in my classroom.

    Do I go to where you work and criticize the way you flip the burgers?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spelling? Like "altar"? Dad29 is gonna be all over this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "That’s right, I said “have”; she is mine. My child. My girl. I own her." Harris makes unfortunate reference to one human being's ownership of another, namely slavery. Does he really mean to advocate for a return to slavery and all the evil it entails?

    He (deliberately?) confuses parental responsibilities such as choosing a child's clothing, reading and watching materials, and playmates with adult life choices such as whom to marry. And a hard fact of life is that once the girl turns 18, she is legally independent of him, regardless of his opinions on the matter. If he chooses to force his choices on the girl through physical punishment, locking her up, or marrying her off against her will before age 18, he have his own legal problems to deal with. If his daughter reaches legal adulthood without ever having made any choices or decisions (even those made with lots of parental guidance), she'll be incapable of making wise and healthy adult decisions. And her relationship with him will either be full-scale rebellion, or none at all. I don't think he'll even want the grown daughter he'll get if he raises her in such a controlling way.

    I understand his wanting to protect her from all the bad things that can happen in life--the problem with that is that the parent ends up protecting the child from the good things too, including becoming a fully actualized adult.

    ReplyDelete