Thursday, December 27, 2007

Life Imitating Art

McIlheran rises to the defense of the subprime lenders. He quotes somebody who is saying that just because the entire country isn't under foreclosure, the market is working, or something like that. The funny part is when McIlheran tries to add his own two cents:

All I know is that I just watched a movie in which the central character spent his wonderful life making dicey loans to subprime borrowers -- and he was unequivocally a hero for doing just that.

Not only does he seem to think that real life is like an old movie, he gets the facts of the movie wrong.

When I first read this post, my first idea was to write something along the lines of seeing a movie where the heroes fought the evil empire. The heroes were rebels, but still heroes, and not labeled liberals, progressives, moonbats, or any of the multitude of names the left side is given interchangeably.

That was my thought until I saw the comments. A person who is identified as Adam confronts McIlheran:

Seriously? You're comparing George Bailey to a corporate bank?

See, what made George Bailey a hero wasn't that he offered, essentially, subprime mortgages. No, he was a hero because when the market crashed, he refused to take the houses away from the people who couldn't quite make their payments. Show me some corporate banks that are doing that and I'll show you some hero businesses.

Furthermore, George Bailey never jacked up the adjustable interest rates on those subprime loans to 10-times the initial rate. In fact, he railed against an evil old man who wished to do just that.

Look, banks are well within their rights to jack up ARMs and to foreclose on delinquent borrowers. But good lord, don't try to tell me they're heroic for doing so.

I realized that there was no way to top the line, "He was a hero because when the market crashed, he refused to take the houses away from the people who couldn't quite make their payments" I guess there's one more holiday movie McIlheran won't be watching. Oh well, he still has his true hero to watch each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment