Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I Hope Their Rosary Beads Hold Up

In the news yesterday, the Vatican came out with a list of new mortal sins that Catholics need to avoid. This list can be summarized as:

1. 'Bioethical' violations such as birth control

2. "Morally dubious'' experiments such as stem cell research

3. Drug abuse

4. Polluting the environment

5. Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor

6. Excessive wealth

7. Creating poverty


McIlheran, Fischer, Sykes, McBride and the rest of the good Christians and adherents of the Catholic faith are OK with the first three, but they better pull out the industrial-strength rosary beads for the penance they'll be doing on the last four.

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to single anyone out (though you and I know who I'm talking about), but for certain self-important narcissists, regular (habitual) church attendance (as an USHER, to control the riff-raff in the pews and chat-in-back throughout the service) is all that's needed to be "devout."

    The Pope says otherwise. "Buffet Catholics" (those who pick and choose what parts of canon to which they'll adhere) are out of luck, "devout"-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geeze, though I'm a Presbyterian turns out I'm a better Catholic than I thought!

    ReplyDelete