Sunday, April 20, 2008

It's All Greek To Me

While enjoying my short time at the summer palace, I had chance to do some reading. One of the things that I found interesting was a quote, which was attributed to Euripides. The quote read:
A man's most valuable trait is a judicious sense of what not to believe.

Well, this piqued my curiosity, so upon return home, I did a quick search, and found some other quotes attributed to this great writer:
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
and
Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.

and, lastly,
The company of just and righteous men is better than wealth and a rich estate.

It quickly dawned to me some obvious facts that historians have, before now, have either ignored, or simply just weren't aware of.

One is that they must have had a version of talk radio in ancient Greece.

The other is Euripides is obviously the Greek word for Whallah!

No comments:

Post a Comment